Image Map

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

We Survived

Over this past weekend, something dawned on me.

We survived.

Evan, Evalyn and I survived the first phase of our journey together – the newborn stage.

As I wrote last week, between two and three months, Eva has changed dramatically from a tiny little newborn to a baby.

And we survived.

In the first few weeks of her life, there were times where I felt like we would never get through. But, now, we’re past that, and it’s as though I blinked and it’s gone. Some days were long. Some weeks were longer. But the moments were fleeting.

How funny that all at once a phase in her life can seem like it lasted forever yet disappeared in a moment.

In some ways, it seems like it was forever and ever and ever ago that my mom and E’s mom were here to help us adjust to our new life as a family of three. Yet, at the same time, it feels like just yesterday when the Dude brought E into the world and passed her into my arms.

I’m certainly not naive enough to think that ‘the hard part is over’. Oh no – not at all – because I am pretty sure that every part is ‘the hard part’. But I am confident that now that we have survived that stage, full of its unknowns and unfamiliarities, that we will survive from here on out. Together.

4 comments:

Brooke said...

congrats!! and good luck :P

Meg said...

:) Honestly, I think the first three months are the toughest. You two are such great parents. I didn't know you well in HS, so it is very cool seeing you as a parent!

Taryn said...

You didn't just survive- you rocked it!

Samantha said...

HUZZAH!!