Image Map

Monday, October 25, 2010

The Newborn Bubble

It's official.


I'm in The Newborn Bubble, y'all.


Any other Mamas know what I'm talking about?


The Bubble that restricts you from having much knowledge about anything in the world unless it relates to your child?


You know, when a friend says, "Did you watch the news coverage of the Chilean miners being rescued?" and you say, "What? You made chili? I better not eat any. It might give Eva gas".


Or when you're asked what your plans are for Halloween and you have to stop and take a look at the calendar to remind yourself that October has not only started, but is nearly over, and that the world has, indeed, continued to turn in your absence.


The Bubble that makes you forget what day of the week it is. Or if you've put on deodorant. The Bubble that only includes poopy diapers, breast milk, onesies, sleepers, and swaddling.


I love being in this particular Bubble. Because I'm in The Bubble with the sweetest girl that has ever lived. Yet at the same time, there is something about being in The Bubble that makes you feel a little lonesome sometimes. Like everything is whizzing past at light speed and you can't keep up.


Despite that fact that Eva and I have gotten out and about quite a bit - and, in fact, this post is scheduled so as we speak, we should be en route to the USA for a shopping day with Nana - I still feel like I'm in The Bubble. So, for now I'll stay in it, but I'll work on getting out.


If I've forgotten your birthday, failed to return a phone call or e-mail, looked dirty in public or reeked of baby vomit in your presence, I apologize - I blame it on The Bubble.

11 comments:

Jacqueline Sears said...

When you find the way out, let me know. Roscoe is 17 months old and I'm still stuck here. MAYDAY!!

Jackie said...

Oh yes....I remember all too well. It will change start to change somewhat, but forever you will be thinking in terms of Eva and not yourself. :)

Elizabeth said...

I LOVE the newborn bubble!! And, it doesn't stop. It only evolves into the baby bubble, toddler bubble, and then when your child is finally independent enough to give you time to turn the news on and catch up with the world... you have another newborn in the house. It's the circle of blissful ignorance. I love it!

Holly said...

Enjoy the bubble! It's a special time!

Emily said...

Love this! Your doing a great job!

Samantha said...

Have fun in the US of A today!!

Brittany Ann said...

This used to happen to me as a teacher. It was the High School Bubble. A little less spit up and a lot more moral dilemmas;)

Anonymous said...

aww, enjoy the bubble!!

Mumma said...

Sorry to tell you but I still at times find myself in this bubble - even though you guys are all big and grown when something major happens in your life - either good or bad - it still becomes my main focus!!!!

Lucky in Love said...

At least you have a baby to blame! I am in a bubble for no reason! :) Ha!

Tricia said...

Oh honey, enjoy the bubble. It happens to every mom. No matter how many kids you have, it happens. Except the more kids you have, the bigger the bubble. ;)

xo*t