Since hubby and I have decided not to find out the sex of our baby at our ultrasound next week, I have to rely on other, old fashioned, incredibly reliable sources, like Jenn's spidey-sense and this old wives tale quiz that I snagged from Risley if I want to figure out what I'm having before I birth this child.
According to Jenn's spidey-sense, (and mine and hubby's), we are having a boy. Now, let's see what the wives tales say ...
If the heart rate is under 140 you'll have a boy.
This gives us a girl. The heart rate has been over 150 each time.
If you are carrying all your weight out front its a girl, if your weight is around your hips and bottom it's a boy.
I am all belly = girl. See?
Really, I just wanted an excuse to post that incredibly whack photo that E took of me the other day. It's like waldo meets jailbird meets pregnant chick.
If your bump is low it's a boy if your bump is up higher it's a girl.
No one has really said to me that they think I'm carrying particularly high or particularly low. And, well, I'm not sure. I think my bump is just on my belly. So, is it high or low? I don't know. Someone please tell me. I will say it's low just so that boy gets a vote.
If the baby is very active it's a boy.
I started feeling the first little tiny movements around 16-17 weeks and now, at almost 19 weeks, they are getting strong. Active baby = boy
If you're craving sweets it's a girl, if you're craving salt you're having a boy.
I haven't really been having any major cravings. The only distinct one I had was a craving for a Belgian waffle. I guess that's more sweet than salty. But, at the movies the other night I thought for sure I could smell salt and vinegar and have wanted Salt and Vinegar Kettle Chips ever since. I even stopped and looked at them in the grocery store aisle for about 5 minutes yesterday. Let's say, a point for boy!
If daddy is gaining weight along with mommy it's a girl.
Daddy hasn't put on any pounds so far. Boy.
When picking up a single key, if she picks it up from the thin end, it's a girl. If she picks up the key from the base it's a boy.
Okay seriously, who even knows the answer to this? I just had to go find a key and pick it up. But, my judgment was obviously biased by the fact that I knew why I was picking it up. Nevertheless, I picked it up from the thin end = girl.
If your face is colored in acne you're having a girl. If you have clear beautiful skin you'll have a boy.
Looks like I was having a girl a few weeks ago but might be having a boy now because my face is pretty clear. So, boy.
Do you sleep on your right or your left side? Right you're having a girl, left you're having a boy.
This is so tricky. I normally sleep on my left side/stomach, but since I've been getting bigger, I find myself rolling from left to ride all throughout the night. I start on my left side so we'll go with boy.
If you are puking all the time you'll have a girl.
Does it count if you were puking all the time? I haven't been sick since last Thursday, but you all know how things have been going for me on that front for most of the pregnancy so this one definitely goes to the girl.
If your hands are dry you'll have a boy, if they are soft you'll have a girl.
Hmm ... my hands are always dry. Boy
If you're drinking lots of orange juice and other citrus you're having a girl.
One glass of orange juice every morning = girl
If you feel graceful during pregnancy you're having a girl, but if you feel clumsy you'll be having a boy.
Am I ever graceful? I almost fell into a ditch on my walk today because Nika got sight of some rodent and yanked on her leash. Boy.
If you gain weight in your face you're having a girl.
Not so far. Boy.
If you are especially moody you'll be having a girl.
Girl. 'Nuff said.
The Mayan tale adds the mothers age at conception and the year of conception. If the result is an even number then mom is having a girl. If the result is an odd number then a boy is on the way!
2009 + 23 = 2032 = Girl
Pull down the skin under your left eye. If you see a "V" or "branches" in the white part you'll have a girl.
What the?? How weird is it that I actually just did this. Boy.
If you are the first born child, you will have what your mom had but starting with her second child. If you are the middle child, you will have what she had but starting with the third. If you are the last child you will have what your mother had in the exact order.
I am the last child and my sister is the oldest child in my family so ... Girl.
If you eat the ends of bread, it’s a boy. If you eat the middle of the loaf, it’s a girl.
Clearly, it's a girl. I will not touch the crusts. Ick.
The Chinese Gender Chart claims to have an accuracy rate of over 90%. It is based on how old the mother is at conception and the month that she conceived.
I just looked at it now and it said girl. However, I looked at one before that said boy. I'm pretty sure that my age at conception or the month of conception hasn't changed since then? Odd. Anyway, we'll go with girl because that was today's result.
You are having a girl if your beauty disappears during pregnancy. It is said that the girl “steals” the mother’s beauty. If you think that pregnancy has never made you look more beautiful, you might just be having a little boy.
Well, I would certainly not say pregnancy has made me look beautiful but last night I heard the dude say to someone on the phone that I am getting quite a pot and I look really cute. So, if he's right ... boy.
If you have dreams that you are having a boy, you will have a girl. If you dream about having a girl, it will be a boy. Dreams show the opposite of what you are having.
I have had tons of dreams about being pregnant and having my baby but interestingly, in none of them has the sex been revealed. So no points for either side here.
When the pregnant woman is asked to show her hands, it’s a boy if she keeps her palms down and a girl if she shows her palms up.
Palms down = boy.
71% of the time, the mom-to-be knows what she is having.
If I am included in that 71%, we'll be welcoming a little boy because I have had boy thoughts all along.
When a pregnant woman craves meat and cheese, count on a boy.
Cheese has been surprisingly unappealing to me lately. I wouldn't say I have had an aversion towards it but I never desperately want it. And meat, well ... I like it but no more than before. So, girl.
Are your feet colder now that you are pregnant? If so, you just might be having a boy. If your feet have stayed the same before pregnancy and during, you’re having a little girl.
They are definitely freezing now but they are always freezing, pregnancy or not. Girl.
If you are having headaches, you might be carrying a boy.
Lately they have eased up but I had a few weeks where the headaches were consistent. Boy.
It is said that when you can only think of specific names for a boy or a girl, you will have that particularly baby.
We have narrowed down our names for both but at first, I could only think of girl names and very few boy names. So, girl.
And now, for the tally.
Girl = 13
Boy = 14
Wow, that's pretty close. According to these wives tales, I have a 48% chance of seeing pink and a 52% chance of seeing blue.
Maybe Jenn's spidey sense aren't so strong after all?
I'll tell you what. Let's all meet back here in oh, about 5 months, and see the outcome.