Image Map

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Inspire My Saturday

Photobucket

Tricia, over at Boutelle Family Zoo, has recently begun sharing things that inspire her each Saturday. I have greatly enjoyed reading about all the blogs, people and ideas that inspire her and so I was thrilled when she announced that she would be hosting an Inspire My Saturday linky party.

I have thought long and hard about what to share today. In the end, I decided to talk about a person who has inspired me greatly in many ways. My Grandma. I'm not sure that any words I write could truly give justice to the grace and beauty that my grandmother displayed throughout her life.

A lot of my interests, values and goals stem from lessons I learned from my grandmother. My desire to cook, bake, be a mother, love my husband, be the keeper of my home, garden and can...all are things that I witnessed in my grandma's life.

Instead of trying to portray my Grandma in words, I am going to share a poem that I found a while ago that reminds me so much of her.

Grandma's Apron
by Tina Trivett

The strings were tied, It was freshly washed, and maybe even pressed.
For Grandma, it was everyday to choose one when she dressed.
The simple apron that it was, you would never think about;
the things she used it for, that made it look worn out.

She may have used it to hold, some wildflowers that she'd found.
Or to hide a crying child's face, when a stranger came around.
Imagine all the little tears that were wiped with just that cloth.
Or it became a potholder to serve some chicken broth.

She probably carried kindling to stoke the kitchen fire.
To hold a load of laundry, or to wipe the clothesline wire.
When canning all her vegetables, it was used to wipe her brow.
You never know, she might have used it to shoo flies from the cow.

She might have carried eggs in from the chicken coop outside.
Whatever chore she used it for, she did them all with pride.
When Grandma went to heaven, God said she now could rest.
I'm sure the apron that she chose, was her Sunday best.

What inspires you? Head over to Tricia's and share your inspiration.

13 comments:

Tereasa said...

That is so sweet, Lu.

Nicole said...

A true Ephesians older woman teaching the younger. Wow are we lacking in that in our society these days! I think I'll make a goal of being an apron-wearing granny to my grandchildren. Wouldn't it give them something to talk about? i.e. "I wonder which apron grandma is wearing today?"
Have a great day!
Nicole

Anonymous said...

that is so sweet :)

Tricia said...

Hi Lucy.
Thank you so much for joining me today. What a blessing to have a grandmother in your life that helped to shape who you are today. I too was blessed with a wonderful, godly grandmother, who helped me to see what being a loving, happy homemaker and mother really meant. My grandmother also wore an apron at all times, and now that you mention it, it really does symbolize all of the things that made up who my grandma was.

What a beautiful reminder of how special your grandmother was to you.

Thank you for playing along, and being such a good friend to me, Lucy.

XO*Tricia

SnoWhite said...

beautiful! Did you know tomorrow is Grandparent's day? What perfect timing.

Gwen said...

You are going to make me cry.

Emily said...

I love, love, love this post. What a sweet poem. I could immediately picture grandma coming out of the pantry (where she hung her aprons) and tying it up around her little waist...and away to work she went!

I always love remembering grandma. Thanks girl!

Jane said...

That is really a nice tribute. I also mentioned my grandmother as a source of inspiration. It's such a special relationship.

Brittany Ann said...

So beautiful! My grandmothers were true keepers of the home as well. Such an inspiration! Thanks for sharing your love of such a wonderful woman in your life! She would be so proud of you!

Courtney said...

Aw, how sweet!

Annie said...

what a sweet post!

my grandma is still in my life and we are closer than we have ever been. we email often and i love being able to talk with her about anything.

i hope you are having a great weekend hun!!

Llama said...

OH my that was so sweet...I couldn't make it through the poem without crying! What a nice way to recognize such an amazing person!

JennyLee said...

This is so sweet. :)