Image Map

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Story

Evan and I have always knew that we wanted kids. Emphasis on the “s”. And, we always thought we wanted to have them close together. Then, when Evalyn, who was a great big giant wonderful surprise, came along, we weren’t sure what would happen with the spacing between our kids.

When she was an infant, I started to think I wanted to wait a few years until we added any more to the mix. Evan, on the other hand, was ready to get going when she was around six months old.

The problem was (is) the apartment we live in really isn’t big enough for another. I wanted to wait until we for sure had a house to move into before we started trying so we didn’t have the time pressure. He didn’t care so much.

But, right around her first birthday, I started getting the itch. We started discussing. Eventually, he convinced me that if we tried, and were successful, that we would figure it out. God would provide. He’s always provided for us up until now, we can trust that He will do the same as we continue.

So, we threw the pills out the window and as each day passed, I hoped more and more and more that we would be able to have another baby. Because of my work contract, and the rules of maternity leave in Canada, we had a very limited window to get pregnant in, or else we’d likely want to wait another year.

I wasn’t sure what to expect since, you know, “things” haven’t been quite the same since Eva was born. Needless to say, after a week or more of going between “I think I must be pregnant” to “No way, I’m definitely not pregnant” and seeing a number of negative tests, I finally saw, clear as day, what I’d been waiting for.

Baby #22

On Friday, October 21, my heart became Mama to two babies. And what a day that was. I am certain I experienced every emotion under the sun. From elation, to guilt, to fear, to joy, to anxiety, to uncertainty, to more joy, to more excitement and the lists continues (all of that for another post, another day).

Since I totally failed on my hopes to break the news to Evan in a special way when I found out about Evalyn, I decided to try to make up for it this time. So off we want to find the perfect way to tell Daddy. Apparently, around here, I’m a few years too early because the only Big Sister shirts I could find started at size 4T. So, we went a different route.

Evalyn got a brand new book and we stopped in at Daddy’s work to tell him our big news. Although he knew the ups and downs of the week and that I had been testing like a crazy person, I think he was still surprised to find out it was actually true.

Baby #2

I called him and told him to come meet me outside of his job site because I’d made something for him. He expected cookies.

What he got was a whole lot more.

Baby #21

22 comments:

Penny said...

Oh, how sweet! Congrats! I am so happy for you and your growing family!! =)

SEL said...

I've thought about using a big sister tee for M too, when the time comes. And 10/21 is my hubs' birthday, so I'm glad it's a special day for you now, as well! Congratulations again. I'm so happy for you all!

Laura said...

Adorable way to share the news! Congratulations on the new addition to your family!

Ashley @ Gratitude and Latitude said...

Precious!! So happy for you!!

Katie @ Loves of Life said...

Even though I knew this...it is THE best anyway.

Mateya said...

How sweet!

Samantha said...

Love the last picture. The look on her face and the joy on her daddy's side is priceless.

Tricia said...

I know I have been scarce here. Actually, I've been scarce everywhere blog-related, but I wanted you to know that I was reading.
I love the way that you document moments. I know that I have told you that before, but wanted to reiterate. The way that you mark the days, the moments of your life is a beautiful thing!
Congratulations, again! To you both.

xo*t

p.s. A tear burst (literally) right out of my eye when I saw that last pic. uncontrollable. ;)

Gina said...

Do you know that between you and another friend telling the daddies in a cute way about baby #2 I had a total meltdown last week? I was SO upset that I never told B in a special way and now I'll never get to. I guess I'll have to live vicariously through my friends. ;)

Erin said...

Love, love, love it. So how far along are you exactly? 10-12 weeks-ish? Math isnt my thing :)

Shelley said...

This is too cute!! Congrats!!

Unknown said...

Such a cute way to tell Evan! How many weeks are you now?!

Aunt Shelley said...

Now that I know all the details I hope if wasn't my job site (our house) and you all managed to keep it quiet! Congrats again...we're all so excited and so far so good on the record keeping for kiddo #2

Laura @ My Thoughts-Uninterrupted said...

What a sweet way to tell him the news! I love it! Congrats again my friend :)

Erin said...

What a wonderful story about the new addition to your family! Congrats again, can't wait to hear more!

SnoWhite said...

that's awesome, friend! I'm so happy for you guys :)

The Luedtke Family said...

Congrats on the expanding two feet! So exciting.

I love your little girls hat, by chance did you make it?

I follow Erica's blog sometimes, and I found you on her post today.

Perfectly Imperfect said...

Very cute way to tell him! And I know I say this every single time, but Eva is seriously such a beautiful little girl!!

Anonymous said...

I love this!!
And I miss reading your Blog.

Lucky in Love said...

So sweet :) I just love that little face!

Laura said...

Congratulations! Wow, it looks like you found out exactly one week before me! Thats awesome :) Now we can be preggers together!

Anonymous said...

I am so late in reading this, but I love it, and I'm so happy for you!