Image Map

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A Bushel and a Peck Birthday

I started thinking about Evalyn’s birthday party a few months ago. I was racking my brain trying to think of a creative, personal, cute theme that we could center her party around. We were out for a walk one day and I was looking around our farm and the area surrounding it and thought that it would be fun to play on the fact that we live in the country and her birthday is in the fall. My first thought was to do a pumpkin patch or harvest party. But, I just wasn’t feeling it. A few days later, she and I were playing together and I started singing, “I love you a bushel and a peck, a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck…”

And I knew. THAT would be the most perfect theme. I even knew that I already had a dress for her to wear that would fit so well.

The next few months were full of ideas and planning and craft and, you know, LOTS of list making. And in the end, I was so happy with the result. I loved her party. It was absolutely perfect. A day where we were gathered with our friends and family, celebrating the first year of this sweet angel’s life.

Most of the decorations were handmade, whether by me or someone else. A friend of mine from church used her die cut machine to cut out the letters and apples and I made the two sided banner using coordinating scrapbook paper and jute. It turned out 195893 times better than I pictured. The photo display was made using a frame that Ev built, painted and distressed. I printed her monthly monkey photos in sepia with a white border and used small apple die cuts, with brown letter stickers to mark the months. (And, um, yea, both the banner and the photo display are still hanging. And will be for a while). The beautiful painted canvas was a very special gift from my dear friend Gina. This was the first decoration that I had, and so, everything else was centered around it. And I love it. The tin flower pots were bought at Ikea and, again, I used a small apple die cut and brown stickers to personalize them a bit.

16

For the guestbook, I got a copy of the kid’s book version of the “Bushel and a Peck” song. I stuck some yellow cardstock inside the covers, and had it sitting out with pens so everyone could leave a message for the lady. I also used her first birthday portrait, caramels and other little apple decorations to put finishing touches on the decor.

Decorations and food

The centrepieces were made with miniature bushel baskets from Michaels, filled with fall mums and handmade tags, done by me. There were four of them. I love you. A Bushel and a Peck. A Hug Around the Neck. A Barrel and a Heap. I gave these away as the prizes for the people who got the most points on the All About Evalyn quiz.

flowers

For the favours, my girlfriends and I busted our butts making beautiful, delicious caramel and chocolate apples. We used peanuts, skor bits, and reese pieces as the toppings. Yum. Tied them up with cellophane, coordinating thank you tags and jute – and there you have it. I also had brown paper bags filled with sweet and salty kettle corn – as that stuff, thanks to my friends, helped me survive the first year of motherhood. They were stamped with a small apple stamp, tied with jute and had a thank you tag as well.

26

The (gorgeous) smash cake was made for Evalyn by her ever so talented Auntie Caley. And the cupcakes were made by my mom and myself.

cakecupcakes

Now let’s move on to the party itself. Evalyn was surrounded by her cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents and friends as we celebrated her life. What a fun day! The weather was gorgeous. We couldn’t have asked for a more perfect day.

Birthday party photos to post1

Tons (read: way too much) yummy food.

food

And a snoopy girl who wanted to dig into the gifts.

snoop

A few photos of the birthday girl and my family on party day.

Birthday party photos to post

She had so much fun opening her presents and definitely had some help from her cousins. The singing Mickey Mouse card? Highlight of her life. The chair she is sitting in so proudly was her birthday gift from her daddy – built with his own two hands.

Gifts

Watching her smash her cake was hilarious, since she hates to have anything messy on her hands. She wasn’t so pumped. She would grab a chunk of icing and then shake it off her hand as fast as she could. Girlfriend doesn’t know what she’s missing.

Cake

It was such a special, perfect day.

22 comments:

Liz said...

It turned out perfect!! That was a great party theme idea and little Eva looked so pretty. :)

Shannon Dew said...

Oh my gosh this is all way too cute for me to handle this early in the day! You did a great job! What an adorable theme, even though I've already told you that before ;-)

Katie @ Loves of Life said...

People sometimes say things about 1st birthday parties and why even bother? But I honestly think its necessary. I mean, one year of life, one year of parenting, it's totally important to celebrate the blessing & joy and craziness of that year. I was so elated w/ Eme's party-just felt so sappy and happy and blessed that day. Surrounding my baby with the people who loved her from the start and rooted us on in parenting. I think Eva's birthday was such a beautiful celebration of her 1st year! For both of you!

Anonymous said...

Love it! All of it. You did a wonderful job and I'm so glad the party went well! Would you like to come help me plan Brayden's? :)

Erin said...

Ok, I officially DIE. Love it all - you did SUCH a great job, mama!

Kitty's bunting? Hanging in her nursery window. I just had to keep it up!

"A Bushel & A Peck" is a special song in my family - so you can bet I'm going to be "borrowing" this idea someday :)

Jackie said...

That is SUCH a cute theme! I decided that even though being pregnant in the summer is not the funnest, it is SO worth it for a lifetime of outdoor birthdays!

Her party turned out beautifully and congrats to you and your hubby on her first year as well! :)

Unknown said...

thats actually such a great theme! Caley did a great job on the cake :)

Brittany Ann said...

Clapping hands! Giving your a standing ovation! LOVE THE THEME:) Patrick sings that song to Ella all the time!

Lucky in Love said...

This turned out amazing!! You did such a fabulous job :)

And I can't believe E made that chair! It's perfect.

Ashley Paige said...

Umm. hi. I'm in love!! Everything turned out SO amazing! I love all the apple touches.. and that canvas that Gina made is beautiful! I love how you tied it all together.. the photo display.. the centerpieces! Gosh, Linds! You did a fabulous job! What an awesome First celebration!!

Steph said...

Oh my gosh! I love all the pictures from your party. What a cute original theme! Thanks for sharing. Your hard work paid off!

Aly @ Analyze This said...

I just LOVE the theme!!! Everything was perfect! Happy belated bday to the sweetest Canadian baby I know!!! ;)

Samantha said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This hands down is my FAVORITE 1st birthday party ever. Seriously, what are you gonna do when you have another one??

Now on a serious note, congrats to you and Evan for surviving your first year as parents. I'm so happy for you.

SnoWhite said...

what a fun party, L! Love the theme & how it fits with your family. Can you believe it's been a whole year? Glad you also got to celebrate.

and... I have to say -- that chair E made - pretty amazing :)

Jess said...

As you know from my 98 facebook comments/likes, this was so adorable. You did a great job, Linds!

And I had NO IDEA G made that canvas! I want one! I mean, not the same, but a Gina Original.

Kyle said...

Love it! We might borrow some of your ideas :)

Kodi said...

PERFECT. Just perfect. She obviously agreed! :)

And that canvas Gina made- LOVE.

SEL said...

You know I love it all! You did a fantastic job on it all!

Erica said...

So perfect! And, what is jute? Also I'm curious to know what you're going to do w/ Gina's canvas now. I'm sure you've got the perfect place for it.

Erica said...

P.S. I didn't know the bushel and a peck idea was a song, I'm going to have to look it up now!

Laura @ My Thoughts-Uninterrupted said...

Somehow I missed this post! This is a fabulous birthday party. You did an amazing job and let me just say this post made me very hungry! Great job girl!

Gina said...

Eeek! It all turned out so good. And thanks for the sweet words about the canvas. You were so good at articulating exactly what you wanted. Take some of that credit, chica. So glad her birthday turned out so perfectly. Just like Eva. Awww. ;)