1. I don’t own a pair of baby nail clippers. I don’t know why. I guess I just never got them at a baby shower and then forgot to pick them up as one of my last minute essentials before she was born. The first time we noticed her nails were getting sharp, Evan bit them off and I thought, “Hm, I’ll need to pick up some tiny clippers”. The second time they got sharp, I bit them off and thought, “Hm, I still need to pick up some tiny clippers”. The third time they got sharp … you get the point. We have spent the past 8 months biting off her sharp fingers nails.
2. I can’t spell niece. Every single time I type it (including this time), I see that blasted red spell check line and have to go switch it. Apparently there is something about that “I before E except after C'” rule that exceeds my intelligence level. I also have trouble with other words that have an I, E, C string.
3. We live in the country and out here some of the roads are not in that great of shape. There are pot holes galore. Apparently I suck at driving because almost every time I come to a pot hole and swerve to miss it, I drive directly through it. Don’t tell my husband.
4. I am a particular person. I like things to go a certain way. I’m sure many of you are laughing at this, shall we say, understatement. This trait that I possess explains why I have been secretly proud of myself for making it this far without ever losing a single baby sock. That’s right – not one. Until last Thursday when I was folding Eva’s laundry in preparation for our weekend away and the hamper was empty. All except this little demon staring me in the face…
A sock with no match. Between last Thursday and now, the mystery of the missing sock has been driving me nuts. It’s taking everything in my power not to turn my house upside down in search of the missing sock. Seriously. Me = crazy.
5. Speaking of my crazy particular
control freak characteristics, Eva has a few sets of stacking cups. I’m sure you all know the ones. Different colours, each has a number and they stack inside each other. Simple. Well, only simple until Cup # 3 and Cup # 4 go missing and the stack is off balance. Looking at the stack and seeing that the patterns and sizes were uneven made me twitchy. I admit, in this case, I did flip the house upside down looking for the cups. And never found them. Until we went to E’s aunts house for dinner and found them sitting on the stairs. Because when they babysat they stole them. Not on purpose. Although that would be a cruel joke to pull on someone like me. Thankfully, the cups are back, the stack is balanced, and my life is at ease. Except for that darn sock….
6. I don’t iron. I own an ironing board and iron but can seriously count on one hand the times I’ve used it. I have a joke with people in my family who come here and ask to use my iron. When they ask where I usually set it up, I say, “Well, the first time I ironed, I put it here. And the second time I put it there”. I’m lucky my husband does physical labour for a living and doesn’t expect me to iron his coveralls.
7. And one last laundry related tidbit. I absolutely detest the fact that my dryer takes almost double the length of time to run through it’s cycle than the washing machine. Once again, don’t these appliances realize that I need balance in my life? When I am doing laundry and the washing machine is done and I still have to wait a thousand hours to switch the load because the dryer is not finished? Might as well send me straight into a tizzy.