Image Map

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Weekend of the Vines

I just rolled in the door last night from a fun long weekend with my mom's side of the family. Every year we get together around the 1st of July for a family reunion. It's been going on since all of us were wee kiddos. And now, many of the wee kiddos have wee kiddos of their own. This year, there were 12 children ages 5 and under, and 8 of those are 2 and under - with two more on the way! Talk about chaos.

Judging by the status of the memory card on my camera, you may not believe that I actually went anywhere. I am guilty of taking ZERO pictures the entire weekend. I am really hoping that I can count on some of my other family members to post some photos on facebook or something so that I can have some evidence that my family actually exists.

Unfortunately the Dude wasn't able to come with me this year because of his job switch. It just wasn't logical or feasible to try to swing a few days off so close to the beginning of his new job - especially since he's heading to Quebec on a fishing trip next month.

The weather at the reunion was cold so beach time was limited (for the adults anyway - the kids didn't seem to mind the temperature) but we made up for it with game after game of Monopoly Deal and 3-13, a LOT of food (I mean a LOT) and plenty of visiting. And if that was exciting enough, I managed to get beetle juice all over my face and in my mouth when a giant bug crawled out of my pant leg and I attempted to squash it with a paper towel.

Every year I grow to appreciate this time with my family more and more. I am so blessed to have a whole slew of aunts, uncles, cousins, spouses of cousins, and babies of cousins to call my own!

This year we received a special gift at the reunion. Over the past few years, My Auntie Karen has been compiling a bunch of my Grandmother's recipes that we all know and love. Once she had them all organized, she used Taste Book to print the books. There is a picture of my beautiful Grandmother with a lovely dedication written by Aunt Karen at the beginning, followed by pages and pages of our cherished family recipes. I can't wait to dig in and start making some of them. This recipe book is definitely going to be my most cherished and will be passed on to my children someday.

8 comments:

Jessica McCoy said...

I wish our family did stuff like that. I have cousins that I don't even remember what they look like.

I love the idea of the recipe book. Definately something to cherish forever!

Brooke said...

i can't believe you didn't take the first picture - bad blogger!!

Holly said...

You truly are blessed to that family time and closeness!

Gwen said...

I love the idea of a family recipe book. My sister has been doing the same thing with all of our Grandma's recipes so now I'm sending her the link so she can print it all pretty. :) Glad you had a great weekend!!! XOXO

Jackie said...

That family cookbook will be treasured for sure. :)

SnoWhite said...

what a cool family cookbook idea :)

Gina said...

We have a family cookbook too. It's awesome.

How did you get beetle juice in your mouth if it crawled out of your PANTS?

This Texas Momma said...

Yay for having such a sweet time!