Image Map

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

My New Year's Resolution

Last year, my new year's resolution was to start baking my own bread and give up the store bought stuff. Guess what? I actually achieved it! Aside from one emergency package of store bought tortillas in February '09, I have not bought bread in over a year!

I really think that talking about it on my blog helped. Even though I know no one of you would have been sorely offended or disappointed if I bought a loaf of bread, I felt some sort of accountability. Like I had to do it. And I did. And I'm glad. Baking my own bread is now just a normal, natural part of life. It's just what I do. I'm not planning on stopping.

This year, my goal is to read through the entire New Testament. As I mentioned last week, this goal was inspired by Jenny and SnoWhite, who are both very committed to their bible reading. In the past, I've often said, "I want to read the bible more", or "I want to read the whole bible in a year", but it's never happened. Why? Because in the first case, I wasn't specific enough about my goal and in the second case, I wasn't serious about my goal and it was overwhelming.

I've chosen to start with the New Testament, because it seems like a more manageable and feasible goal. I don't' want to overwhelm myself because then I might give up. The NT seems reasonable. There are 260 chapters. It can be done in a year, no problem.

Thanks to SnoWhite, I've been connected to a great program that leads you through the NT in a year. It's called the Text Project. If you sign up, they will e-mail you your assigned reading each morning. There is one chapter for every week day of the year. (You can also sign up for an OT and Psalms program, if you're interested).

To keep track of my progress, I have added a "What I'm Reading" feature on my side bar. I will cross out each book once it's completed and I will try my best to update it each Sunday so you can see which chapters I'll be reading that week.

I am so excited to see what God has in store for me. Although I've read most, perhaps all, of the NT at one point or another, I've never sat down and read the whole thing straight through. The Word is alive and I am confident that I will learn new and wonderful things - perhaps when/where I'm least expecting it.

Would anyone like to join me on this quest?

This posted is being linked at Kelly's Korner: Show Us How You Live: New Year's Resolutions

16 comments:

Meg said...

well, I for one would be terribly shocked if you bought bread! ;) lol We've stopped buying bread as well.

What a great goal to set! I look forward to seeing your progress in the days and months ahead!

Brooke said...

where do you find the time to make all of your bread? i keep meaning to try, but then i get lazy. i have a pie crust recipe that i pull out every time i make pot pie, then i grab the pillsbury one instead.

Emily said...

Aren't goals that are so measurable great? Good for you (on both last year's and this year's goals!).

Brittany Ann said...

I've been looking for a program like that. I might have to start it! Although, I'm a bit concerned this year will restrict me....how much time does it take a day?

Kayla said...

I'm glad someone can keep new years resolutions! I'm awful at them. I do however, wish I could make my own bread... I'm sure it's much more delicious than the store bought kind!

Jessica McCoy said...

I've never tried baking bread but I have a few recipes I've wanted to try. Maybe I can do that soon.

I'll definately check out that link. I've never actually set down to read the bible because it's always been overwhelming to me. Maybe this will help me break it down into more manageable pieces. Thanks!

JennyLee said...

I'm joining along! Thank you for sharing the website. I love structure! ;) Congrats on a whole year of bread making!

SnoWhite said...

yeah!! you can do it :)

To Brittany Ann -- you get the passage emailed to you, and most days, you can be done in less than 10 minutes. One chapter is really quite short.

This Texas Momma said...

Do you have a bread making machine? If I had one of those I would totally be on board with making my own bread. It just tastes so much better!

Last September I start a ready-the-bible-in-a-year program, but I'm not reading straight through...I'm reading chronologically! It's the same type of program where they email you the passage each morning, and as Type A as I am I have really enjoyed reading it as time passes through the centuries. Right now I'm in 2 Samuel and 1 Chronicals. I didn't ever realize they have much of the same stories! Good luck with your reading, your game plan sounds fantastic!

A New England Girl said...

I wish you all the best in your new year resolutions! I'm so horrible at keeping mine... and following through! :)

Anonymous said...

What about your second new years resolution??
That you're going to be doing at the same time as you read you bible. I imagine it would be a very rewarding experience :)

Tricia said...

Thanks for the link. I'm off to check it out. I need a more structured schedule, or my devotional time tends to fall behind feed and bathe the children. It's time to make it a priority.

XO*T

Dr.We said...

Lucy, nice goal for 2010. As you saw on my blog (http://faithandfollydrwe.blogspot.com) I'm also reading through the NT this year. I look forward to following your progress. Post any new insights or revelations. Am I the only dude that follows your blog?

Lucky in Love said...

I think this is such a fantastic thing that you are doing!! I'm with you all the way girl! Good luck! You can totally do it :)

Taryn said...

Good luck with the NT- while the NT is so much shorter that the Hebrew Bible I find the NT to be much more dense. Everything seems to have an elegance and wordiness that the HB doesn't have. I guess I like my texts to be more blunt. = )

For reals- good goal. Hope you learn lots.

Holly said...

Good for you! How's it going? I too had this goal for 2009, but I guess I wasn't committed to it, because I got sick in January and got off track and never got back on. This year I've started going to Bible Study Fellowship, which will at least keep me accountable for my homework and the study necessary for that.