Image Map

Friday, September 7, 2012

The things their memories will be made of…

Growing up, my grandparents had a cottage and many, many, many of my childhood memories were made there. Days at the beach, the “amusement park”, the trampolines, Cosmic fries, funnel cakes, playing booby trap, climbing the ladder to the loft in the rental, Chelsea buns, watching Grandpa share his ice cream cone with the dog – and the list goes on and on and on.

Now, as an adult, I get to experience the same kind of thing all over again – but from a different perspective. A few years ago my parents bought a cottage of their own and so now my kids, and my nieces and nephew, get to experience what my siblings and I had when we were young – fun times with Nana and Papa at the cottage.

fb9

Someday I know Evalyn and Gwen – and any other children we may have – will look back with fondness at weekend’s like this past one – they will have little snippets and details and stories that will mould together to create the very best memories that they will take with them for the rest of their lives. And as a mom, the beauty of this is not lost on me as I experience these heart full moments, memorizing the joy on Evalyn’s face and cherishing the special relationship my kids get to have with their Nana and Papa.

fb10

The times we spend there signify the things that my kids’ memories will be made of.

fb7

Because where else do you get to go for ice cream before going for lunch? Or spend hours feeding cashews to the chipmunks with Nana? Or go exploring to see what you can find in the forest? Or go for a ride and drive Papa’s boat? Or spend days at a time playing with your cousins?

fb8

No where else.

Only at the cottage.

7 comments:

Steph said...

Lifetime of memories...

I love this! So wonderful for your family!

xoxox

Crystal Seed said...

These pics are so darn cute!!!

Gina said...

I have grandma and grandpa lake memories from when I was about 3 or 4 too. Love this.

Kristin said...

What a great weekend! And it sounds like the chipmunks hit the jackpot!

Rae said...

I adore this post. My parents also have a cabin in Ontario (lake of the woods) and the very best of my childhood summers were moments there. Days spent mostly in the water, cousins, family, fun. I love these pictures and your anecdotes. Totally takes me back in time.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful memories indeed!! Looks like a great time!

Meagan said...

I love this! Such a Canadian post! Only in Canada do you have a Nana and Papa cottage!