Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Second Night Away

On Tuesday night, I spontaneously spent the second night away from my baby. Or at least most of the night. Unfortunately, this night away wasn’t nearly as relaxing and luxurious as my first night. This time, the hotel I stayed at was a little less comfy. A little more white. A little more sterile. A little more medical. This time, the hotel I stayed at wasn’t a hotel at all. It was the hospital.

On Tuesday at lunch, Evan picked up sandwiches from a bakery down the road and dropped one off to me for lunch. He went back to work for the afternoon and I went on with my day. Around 4, we met with our realtor. During our meeting, he leaned over to me and said “I feel like I’m going to be sick”. When we were done the meeting and in the truck, he said he was feeling really rotten. Once I got thinking about it, I thought I didn’t feel very good either. But I figured I was imagining it because he said he wasn’t feeling good.

We got home and started to think about supper. Neither of us wanted to eat. So I quickly put together some dinner for Evalyn and started feeding her.

By 6 pm, I was haulin’ booty to the washroom to toss my cookies. By 6:15 pm, Evan was doing the same. We spent the next few minutes tag teaming until he finally took Evalyn upstairs to the landlords for a little while so we could vom in peace.

At bedtime, we were back to tag teaming. He quickly gave Eva a shower. I quickly put her PJs on and threw put her in bed. We both climbed into bed and the rest is a blur.

Between that time and about midnight, I figure I threw up about 16-20 times and also had some other, ahem, bodily functions taking place. Evan didn’t throw up as much as I did but he was definitely still spending a good deal of time on the toilet.

I was very worried about getting dehydrated, for the baby’s sake, so I kept trying to force myself to take tiny sips of water. But my tummy was rejecting it. All of it.

Finally around 12:30, I was getting very shaky, dizzy and lightheaded and felt like I was going to pass out while puking, we decided it was necessary to head to the ER.

Thank goodness we’ve got a bunch of those “call any time day/night” kind of people in our life and within minutes, Evan’s aunt was in our house ready to stay with Evalyn so we could go. Of course I didn’t want to leave my baby but ya know, I’ve got two babies to think about now and at the time, I needed to get myself hydrated.

We got to the ER where I had multiple more vommy episodes while I waited to be seen. Thankfully, it wasn’t too long before they had me in a bed and hooked up to an IV. I still cannot believe how quickly gravol via IV goes to my head. I swear, I could feel it working it’s magic as the nurse pumped it into me. It knocked me out and I was able to sleep while 2L of fluid was injected into me. In the meantime, my poor husband, bless his heart, who was also feeling rotten, went out to try to stretch himself out and sleep in the truck since I was first just on a tiny cot. When he came back into the hospital at 4:30, I had been moved to a bigger bed so he was able to climb in and snuggle up with me. How sweet, right?

By 5:30, my IV was complete and the other tests they had done were back and I was sent home.

We climbed in bed and thankfully, oh so thankfully, Eva was kind and slept until 7:30 – which doesn’t happen very often these days. After much deliberation, we decided to go ahead and send her to daycare as planned. All signs pointed to food poisoning and if it were a bug, she would likely have been sick already. At daycare, they offered to keep her for the full day even though she was only signed up for half. And we were thanking our lucky stars for that because neither of us would have been much good for her.

We spent the day in bed, going between sleeping, watching movies, and trying to rehydrate ourselves. We both were able to start eating a bit and by the evening, I was feeling better. The dude was still feeling rough because, as I reminded him, he didn’t have fluids pumped into him at the hospital and needed to make sure to really get some water into his system.

Last night, we both crashed almost immediately after Evalyn went to bed and somehow, I woke up this morning feeling so completely normal. Like nothing ever happened. And for that, I am glad because lemme tell you, I would not wish that experience on my worst enemy.


P.S. Today marks 18 months of motherhood for me! Happy 18 months to my little girl. A full update will come soon once I’m caught up after losing a day of work yesterday and once I have her 18 month stats.


Katie @ Loves of Life said...

I'm so so so so sorry you had to deal with that. It's so scary, I'm sure. And having to not only worry about the outside baby (eva) but also inside baby, and having to do what's best for you and that little one. I'm glad you're on the mend now. Sorry I didn't know about it happening until after it was done. hugs.

This Texas Momma said...

How terrible, friend! I'm so sorry you had such a rotten experience, but I'm thankful that you, E, and BC (that would be Baby Cramp) are all on the mend!

Laura said...

What that hell was in that sandwich?! I am so glad you are feeling better! What a horrible ordeal :(

{annie_loo} said...

HOLY COW! There is NOTHING, NOTHING like stomach issues! So glad you are feeling better! Glad that Eva didn't get it!!!!!!

Here's to a HEALTHY weekend!!!!!

SnoWhite said...

yuck, my friend. I am so sorry :( But, I am glad to see you are better now!

Gina said...

I still think they should have given you a free cookie.

Seriously, though, so glad all four of you are okay.

Liz said...

you poor thing. thank goodness you are feeling better!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness - how miserable. :( I'm sorry!

Happiness Is... said...

Oh my - so sorry! What a mess but glad that you made the best decision for your family.

Lindsey said...

Oh love! I am soooo sorry for you and Evan!! You poor things!!! Thank goodness for Evan's aunt and daycare being able to help like that!! I'm sure that really put your minds at ease knowing Eva was cared for so well! Happy 18 months to sweet Eva!!! Soo soon she will be a big sister!! Xoxox