Image Map

Friday, July 23, 2010

The View From Here

When I went out to the garden on Monday after being away for a week, I quickly discovered why people who garden should not take holidays in the middle of July. There weeds are going crazy and I had some gigantic cucumbers and zucchinis! Here is what I picked:

Here's a picture of the way the garden looked on Monday:

Things are definitely getting big! The Fabulous Dude didn't get a chance to go check it out until Tuesday evening and when he did, he was shocked at how big some of the plants are. We have spent some time weeding it this week, but it's still kind of a mess. So please excuse our poor garden maintenance.

Our tomato plants are quite full of fruit and I am desperately waiting for them to ripen! There is nothing, nothing, nothing like fresh tomatoes!

I don't have any more pictures to show of the garden from this week so I will just tell you what else is going on ....

We've been eating delicious potatoes like crazy, and I've used some for twice baked potatoes for the freezer. We've also been eating Swiss chard, lettuce, beet tops, green onions, purple onions, beans, zucchini, and cucumber. We also had a few roasted beets the other night that were delicious. I tried pulling a few of the white turnips but they were gross. I guess they aren't ready just quite yet. We've picked a few okra, so I'm planning to cook them up tonight. Both the acorn and butternut squash plants have a ton of blossom on them and even a few good sized squash growing. We're going to have more zucchini than we know what to do with over the next little while and our yellow summer squash should be ready by next week. There are a few green peppers that are almost ready to pick as well.

If you live close to me and you want any zucchini, cucumber, peppers or tomatoes, please just let me know!

7 comments:

Mumma said...

I sure hope some of those fresh veggies are still around when I come to visit!!!!

Brooke said...

yum - fresh veggies. i got a delivery from my parents garden yesterday afternoon :)

SnoWhite said...

awesome!!!

I wish I was close enough to take some of those veggies off your hands!!

Have you ever made refrigerator pickles? If you want the recipe, let me know :)

Mini Manhattan said...

Your garden looks fantastic! There's nothing better than fresh vegetables that you've grown yourself.

Jessica McCoy said...

Your garden looks great even with the weeds!

How do you cook your okra? I hate the stuff but we have a bunch on the counter my hubs is expecting me to cook LOL.

Brittany Ann said...

First the ice cream and now the produce! Why don't I live closer? I wanna snack with you!

Gina said...

I WISH I lived closer!