Image Map

Friday, March 27, 2009

Oldlyweds?

Lately I've gotten myself into the habit of reading a lot of Newlywed blogs. These are blogs written by young girls, like myself, who are beginning their marriage journey. They write about lessons they're learning, funny things that have happened and sometimes struggles they are facing. I have a blast reading about them, learning from them and laughing with them. And all this reading has got me to thinking .... am I an Oldlywed?

We are quickly approaching our 3rd anniversary. I know for those of you who have been married, 10, 15, 20+ years, this doesn't seem like a long time. But, it does seem that it's been a long time since we were first married.

On the other hand though, some days I still feel like we're newly married. We are still learning about each other, how to live together, how to communicate effectively, how to argue sensibly. Every day there is a new lesson. I have a feeling this part never ends...

So, when exactly does a couple move from the "newlywed" category to the "oldlywed" category? Is it after you've spent a year married and have weathered all four seasons together? After you've celebrated your first Christmas together? After you've purchased your first home? Had kids? Had your first big "marriage" fight? Is it when signing your "new name" begins to come naturally? Is it when saying "This is my husband" no longer sounds funny coming from your lips? I'm not sure. Something tells me that there's no indication of when this transition happens. Maybe it's already happened for us, but it doesn't feel like it to me.

.....somebody please tell me I'm still a newlywed!

6 comments:

Emily said...

You are definitely still a newlywed!! But I gotta tell ya, Oldlywed isn't half bad either (if I qualify as that after almost 8 years?). Cuz it just gets better and better! :)

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

I say you're still new! I too like reading Newlywed blogs. We've been married a year and a half and sometimes I don't think we are still newlyweds...though I know we are. It is a funny question and a funny transition!

SnoWhite said...

I think you're a newlywed for as long as you want to be -- I think it's all about the attitude and approach you take to your marriage :)

Taryn said...

Please say you guys are still new! If not- then I am rapidly approaching oldydom myself!

I too like reading newlywed blogs- it is nice to know that Chris and I are not the only ones out there who fight, mis-communicate and sometimes just frustrate each other! Plus, when other newlyweds still express love to each other, it reminds me how much I love Chris. It is an overall good thing!

(PS- it still sounds weird to introduce Chris as my husband sometimes too. And my name- don't even get me started on my name.)

Holly said...

Haha, hahaha! I'm one of those oldlyweds; 17 years this July, which is dangerously close to 20, and I know that's oldly!
I'll tell you when you hit that point. It's when you no longer have to wonder if you are or not. It's when people you think are babies are married and having babies. It's when 3 years no longer seems like a long time to you. Three years is a blink of the eye, and the older you get, the faster time moves. No joke.
You're definitely still a newlywed! :)

Denise K. said...

Oh you are just the best! I think you a not only a couple, but you are a FAMILY now, and time will only make those bonds of newly or oldly-wed stronger! We've been married 20 plus years, and sometimes it feels like 40, ha ha, and other times it seems like it was just yesterday we bought our first home and said our "I Do's." Like the saying goes, "The years fly by and the days crawl by." Keep making awesome memories, and enjoy every moment, even the tough ones..it's all part of the journey and the best is yet to come! Congratulations on 3 years! Awesome!!!! :-)