Image Map

Monday, October 28, 2013

dear baby: 12 weeks

IMG_1210 

We’ve just passed the 12 week mark. I can hardly believe it. The past few months have gone by so slowly, yet SO fast. I just know I will blink and I’ll be in the homestretch. I can’t wait to meet this new little one, but of course, I don’t want to wish the time away. There is much to do before we are ready to welcome a new little one.

As to be expected, it’s been a rough go so far. Growing a baby is the greatest miracle there is, but man, oh man, is it hard work. I’d do it a thousand times over just to see the sweet face of this baby, of course, but sometimes it kind stinks. Thankfully, I’m not nearly as sick as I was with Big Sister #1. So far, it’s fairly comparable to Big Sis #2. I can’t say there are any real patterns – other than I always wake up feeling nauseous and get sick in the morning. Sometimes I’m able to kick it by 9 or 10 am, but sometimes it comes and goes in waves throughout the entire day. Late evening is usually icky, too.

On top of the nausea and vomiting, the first trimester tireds are unreal, am I right? Many nights over the past two months I’ve found myself getting your big sisters to bed and following immediately after. I’ve even been asleep before Eva some nights. I’ve also been catching cat naps here and there when I can. Thankfully your sisters usually nap at the same time (you’re going to be a good napper like them, right,  baby?) but because of work,, I often can’t nap. When I can though, I certainly take advantage of it! I’m still quite comfortable and not having any trouble sleeping, aside, of course, from the times your sisters don’t let me get a good rest.

We’ve been (well, I’ve been … Daddy mostly just humours me) talking names quite a bit. We’ve decided to keep all of our name ideas a secret this time around so it will be a big surprise when you make your debut. I think I’m pretty set on your name if you’re a girl and fairly confident of what it will be if you’re a boy, but of course, we reserve the right to make changes at any time.

I have no hunch if you are a girl or a boy just yet. Of course, my automatic reaction is to refer to you as ‘she’ because that’s all I’ve ever known – but I don’t have any true instincts yet. I know full well how two extremely opposite pregnancies can result in the same sexed baby, so I don’t know if I ever will have a hunch. All I know is that whatever the outcome, we will be thrilled. We just want you to be healthy and strong.

Your biggest sister is so excited about you. Almost every day she asks if you’re kicking yet as she rubs my belly. She gets annoyed when people ask if she thinks you’re a brother or a sister – I think she wonders how people expect her to know. She already talks about all the ways she’ll help me take care of you. She is going to spoil you rotten! Of course, Gwennie will, too, but she doesn’t quite have the same understanding of all things baby related yet.

I am finding it hard to believe, but I’ve already been able to feel you flutter around a few times. The first time was in the middle of the night so I assumed I was dreaming but then the next day, while out to dinner with your Daddy and eating a poutine (maybe it’s your favourite, too?) I very distinctly felt that little swooshy feeling. I didn’t feel your Big Sisters until quite a bit later so I was surprised, but I know it’s definitely possible – especially considering this is my third rodeo. I can’t wait to start feeling it more often and even more, I can’t wait until we can feel you kick from the outside so your Daddy and Big Sissy’s can join in!

We are so entirely thrilled and excited for you. We talk about you and pray for you all the time. You will do great things for this family!

With all my love,

Mama.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I don't think I have commented and said congratulations yet! How wonderful that #3 is on the way!