Image Map

Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Great Weekend

Aside from this happening, I had a great weekend! It was busy and fun-filled.

Friday night started out with a surprise party for my friend A. who is getting married in two weeks. There are ten people in my graduate class (all girls) and we have become quite close over the year. So, as a final celebration we decided to have an end of year party but planned for it to be in her honor. She was quite surprised when she arrived and realized what we had been scheming and it was a blast.

I'm sorry to inform you, though, that the party was much less elegant and much more tame than some of you implied in your comments. My decorations and food were nothing fancy. It was potluck style, so the other girls did most of the work. I basically just served heat-and-serve appetizers and Taryn's black and white cheesecake squares (which are incredible by the way). I meant to take a picture of the spread of food but I had 9 ravenously hungry woman on my hands and before I thought about it, all the food was gone. The decorations were non-existent aside from a "Bridal Shower" banner and the games were (relatively) tame. We played Pin The Boobies on B. (the groom). It was so fun. I stalked her Facebook photos for a picture of him, blew it up and then we drew a body on large construction paper to post on the wall. We then "dressed him for the beach" since they are getting married in Cuba by sticking construction paper bikini tops onto him while blind folded. It was much harder than I expected.

Next, we played the oh so classic toilet paper bride.

The last game we played got a little more interesting. In this game, each team gets a list of chocolate bars and candy. You then have to come up with a phrase or saying involving that type of candy. So, for example ... if the chocolate bar in question was Mr. Big... well, you can imagine. And if you can't imagine, I don't want to destroy your innocence.

The party was a blast. Below is a group shot ... all but one of us who couldn't come because her boyfriend got sick unexpectedly and they had to go to emerg. The second photo demonstrates my extraordinary photoshop skills as I added her to the group shot. Love it!

On Saturday, my brother, Mr. Fishy and my SIL came for the day. The boys worked on the boat in the morning and then did some fishing. I marked papers and SIL copied down some recipes from my recipe books in the morning and then we did a little shopping in the afternoon. We finished off the evening with a BBQ, a trip to Toute Sweet and a campfire. I also got some really exciting news on Saturday. I found out that I was offered a provincial scholarship for next year! This really takes the pressure off of us as we go through another year of school. What a blessing!

Today the weekend ended with another Bridal Shower. After Friday night, A. was telling us that she was so shocked we could surprise her because no one is ever able to surprise her. She was convinced the only reason it remained a secret was because her fiance didn't know about it. Little did she know!! Her wedding party planned a Bridal Shower Luncheon in Niagara Falls. Once again, she was completely shocked. Only two of us from school were able to go to this one. It was a lovely afternoon and I was able to meet some of her family, her friends and her wedding party. The process of getting to the shower on time was quite interesting (picture this: two girls carrying a rather large gift, running around in high heels, in the wrong hotel, trying desperately to get to the right place before the bride, worrying that the elevator doors will open and she will be standing there) but once we were there it was a blast. Below is a photo of the bride and I. You can see Niagara Falls behind us. It's funny how we sometimes forget how cool it is that we live so close to one of the most visited areas in the world.

When I returned home, I marked more papers and did my menu planning for the week. When I asked the FD what he wanted to eat this week, he requested meatloaf. Then a few moments later he said, "Just plain old meatloaf. Please no chickpeas, no lentil things, no shredded veggies. Just plain meatloaf please". Ahh, bless his sweet heart. We then went grocery shopping, to the Superstore to grab a few things for my vacation and then to visit our dear friends G&P for a few hours. It was a busy weekend. I am tired, I am joyous, and I am entering a new week feeling full of life. I'd love to hear what the rest of you did this weekend.

And one last thing, don't forget the enter the giveaway if you haven't yet. It's open until Wednesday!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Could you please recommend a good wedding dress cleaning and preservation company?
I stil need to have my gown serviced from last October.
Your party sounds like alot of fun.

SnoWhite said...

Sounds like you had a blast this weekend! And, what fun to be at Niagara Falls :) (we live pretty close too). Also - congrats on your funding -- that is such a blessing.

I'll be back later to participate in your challenge!

Courtney said...

Looks like such a fun weekend!! I'm so jealous of you being close to Niagra! That's awesome!

Cristina said...

Looks like a great weekend! I love Niagara Falls, I am about 1 1/2 hour drive away...it's such a great little day trip :)

Denise K. said...

WOW, what a full, fun filled weekend!!! This week sounds full and wonderful too! It is always fun to read about your adventures on Lucy's Life! :-)